There has been a traditional iron and steel production facility at the Unterwellenborn site in Thuringia since 1872.
At the centre of the Maxhütte Industrial Area is the Stahlwerk Thüringen where steel sections are produced which meet national and international standards.
On the 9th of April 1992, ARBED acquired the combined section mill, the core of Maxhütte Unterwellenborn site. This facility - the most modern rolling mill of its kind in Europe - was put into commission in 1985 and the main plant equipment was completely modernised in 2002. The company Stahlwerk Thüringen was established on the 1st of July 1992. It was the beginning of a comprehensive modernization of the steel production site Unterwellenborn.
In February 1995, the new electric steel manufacturing plant with continuous casting was bought into operation. Recycled steel is the main raw material for operating the electric arc furnace.
From 2007 till the beginning of 2012 the Stahlwerk Thüringen GmbH was part of the Spanish Alfonso Gallardo Group, the leading manufacturer of re-bars in Spain.
In February of 2012 the CSN group (Companhia Siderúrgica Nacional) with head office in Brasil bought the plant.
CSN is an internationally important steel corporate group.
One of the targets is a high independence, and that's why CSN owns additional to the steel plants also iron ore mines, cement plants, electrical power plants and transport infrastructures, such as railways ans ports.